Parents United

Breaking the Cycle of Child Sexual Abuse

Support Persons

Support Persons
As parents, guardians, friends or family members who want to help and support the children in their lives, it can be very hard to see the signs of molest and even harder to consider that a child you love has been harmed or violated in anyway. While we cannot protect the children in our lives from everything, at all times, it helps to know what to look for when it comes to some issues. Parents United offers groups for support people of victims and offenders so that you can stay healthy in the midst of being a support person while having a safe place to share how you have been affected by this trauma as well.
How do I know if my child has been molested?

If a child tells you they have been molested, assume it is true. Children do not make up stories about being molested out of nowhere. If they are telling you, it's because something inappropriate happened.

If your child exhibits any of the following symptoms you may want to consider the possibility of molestation:

Behavioral Problems such as withdrawal, seductive or aggressive behavior not previously witnessed, depression, anxiety, confusion about their identity, loss of trust, self-destructive behavior, loss of self-esteem, sexual behavior or language that is not age appropriate.

What can I do if I think my child has been molested?

• You may report directly to Child Protective Services (CPS)
Child Abuse Hotline 1 (800) 558-3665 

• You may first call Parents United (209) 524-4858  

• You may attend our Parent Orientation Meetings 

      - TUESDAY 3pm-4pm for ages 8-18 offenders

      - THURSDAY 2pm-3pm for 3-18 victims. 

(610 14th street in Modesto, CA)

Please bring the following

- Medi-Cal Information

- Private Insurance Information

- Victim Witness Information if you have them. 

After you have signed up your child, you will schedule an assessment meeting with a clinician on the treatment team. After the assessment your child and you can begin group meetings.

I was molested as a child, can I get support?

We have orientation for AMACs (Adults Molested as Children) Please call to confirm your attendance (209) 524-4858
- MONDAY: 4:30pm
(610 14th Street in Modesto, CA) 

You can then attend Newcomers Group that starts directly after
- MONDAY: 6:00pm 
(251 E. Hacket Road in Modesto, CA)
AMAC Group meetings take place 
- MONDAY: 6:00pm-7:30pm
251 E. Hacket Rd in Modesto, CA

Mandated Reporters

Professionals, who in the course of their work, come in contact with families and children (medical practitioners, non-medical practitioners, daycare providers, probation officers, social workers, etc.) MUST report to a "child protective agency" (Police, Sheriff, Probation, Child & Family Services). All other citizens MAY report. (Penal Code Section 111165):

  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • severe or general neglect
  • willful cruelty or unjustifiable punishment
  • unjustifiable mental suffering
  • any of the above in out-of-home care

A phone report must be made immediately upon suspicion or knowledge. A written report is required within 36 hours.

C.P.S. 24-hour phone line:

209-558-3665 or 1-800-558-3665